Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Tuesday Meditation: One Thing I Do Know (March 24, 2015)

One Thing I Do Know
John 9:18-41
March 24, 2015

You probably know this story.  One Sabbath, Jesus is walking along the road and he encounters a man who was blind from birth.  Jesus spits on the ground, makes some mud, spreads it on the blind man's eyes, and instructs him to wash the mud off at a nearby pool.  The man follows instructions, and he discovers that he now can see!    

So far, so good.  But some of the religious leaders are upset because all of this took place on the Sabbath, in violation of Jewish law.  The leaders interrogate the man with the recovered eyesight twice, as well as his parents.  During the man's second interrogation, the religious leaders tell the man--who still is rejoicing in his newly found vision--that Jesus, the one who healed him, is a sinner.  The healed man replies, "I do not know whether he is a sinner.  One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see."  (John 9:25).  

I can learn a lesson from this man.  When he is confronted, he tells his story.  He doesn't engage in a lot of speculation (at least not at this point) on the accusations the religious leaders are making about Jesus.  He simply points to the way Jesus changed his life.  "Though I was blind, now I see."

God encounters us each day of our lives in a myriad of ways.  So often, I fail to notice.  I can get distracted by all the theological arguments, the hidden agendas, the many things on my "to do" list.  I need to be reminded now and then to pay attention!

God, give me the vision to see your hand at work in my life, and the courage to tell my story!

No comments:

Post a Comment