Friday, March 27, 2015

Friday Devotion: Do You Believe This? (March 27, 2015)

Do You Believe This?
John 11:1-27
March 27, 2015

Today, we read Part I of the Lazarus Story.  Jesus has escaped from the hands of the religious leaders and has fled Jerusalem.  He is beyond the Jordan River when he receives the message that Lazarus is ill.  To return to Bethany in order to help Lazarus would mean heading right back into harm's way.  Jesus tarries for a while before suggesting that he and his disciples return to Lazarus's side.  By the time Jesus arrives, Lazarus has been dead for four days.

Jesus tells Martha (sister of Lazarus) these memorable words:  "I am the resurrection and the life.  Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believe in me will never die."   He does not leave things there.  He then turns to Martha and asks her, "Do you believe this?" (John 11:25-26),

Martha says "yes."  Instead of stopping there, she goes on to explain her answer.  She sees Jesus as "the Messiah, the Son of God, the one coming into the world."  (v. 27).  Her answer sounds academic to me; it's technically correct; but I don't hear the "trust" in her voice.  

Having right answers is good; but we need to go beyond the right answers into the area where we will be our very lives on the life offered by Jesus.  

Today we live in a very different world, but Jesus still turns to each of us and asks, "Do you believe this?"  How do you respond?

Pray:  Lord, I believe; help my unbelief.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment